Alex is having one of his GREAT Blogfests again today. They're so much fun! They can also be difficult. As a child of the 80s, I grew up with some great music! It was tough to narrow it all down to 10 songs.
1) Frank DeVol - Teddy Bear's Picnic This was my favorite childhood song. Listening to it now, I'm not sure why it made me happy instead of giving me nightmares. The idea of Teddy Bears in the forest? And the warning not to go into the woods? But I loved it. Played it over and over and over and over...
2) San Diego Super Chargers Song I grew up on San Diego football - first game at 2 years old. Here is the extended dance version, I believe. I love it in all disco greatness. They had P.O.D. do a new song in 2009, but this one is old school and my fave.
3) Def Leppard - Photograph My introduction to "heavy metal" and MTV. Loved the song. Loved the video. Loved Rick Allen.
4) Morris Day and the Time - Jungle Love I can't explain it. It's the beat? I hear this song and I can't NOT dance.
5) Christina Aguilera - Walk Away This song is all about BAD ROMANCE. It's such a fantastic display of her vocal range. It just feels naughty. The year it came out, I was in a relationship that needed to be over. But walking away was so hard. This song was my theme song those two years.
6) Mike and the Mechanics - The Living Years My father and I did not see eye to eye when I was growing up. The only girl, when I hit my teen years I think I completely baffled him. Also, I was the most like him out of all the kids. My theory? My father is full of self-loathing. He didn't want me to be like him for that reason. He loved me too much. So he tried to squash (that's a very gentle way of putting it) the traits we shared. Very sad because I feel those are my strengths. We have healed our relationship in the past decade and are closer than ever. But this song really spoke to me for the longest time. The lyrics are so touching, and true.
7) Kings of Leon - Use Somebody
8) Muse - Uprising I love the rebellion.
9) Bonnie Tyler - Holding Out for a Hero Cheesy. 80s. Enough said.
10) Doug E Fresh - The Show It's fun. It's fresh. It's Doug E Fresh. This one takes me back to my high school years.
This was VERY hard to do!
Coldplay is my all time favorite band. They didn't make the top ten because I love all of their songs and couldn't narrow it down to just one. Yellow and Clocks...almost made the Top Ten. Almost.
What about you - what are some of your favorite songs? Could you narrow it down?
Don't forget to check out the rest of the entries at Alex's blog.
I am an Humane Education teacher & writer living in Burbank, California. I left television production almost a decade ago to pursue my passion - animals. Along the way, I snagged myself a super handsome, extremely patient and very supportive husband. We rescued three cats - Ol' One Eye Pip, Eowyn the Snow Leopard and Wednesday the Butt. We also ended up with an American Staffordshire Terrier pup, Lily. I co-founded my own non-profit (Paws and Learn Humane Education Center) and spend three days a week in the schools educating kids about kindess to animals, dog bite prevention, city wildlife, pet overpopulation and responsible pet ownership. I love my job, but I also love to write. I spend my spare time writing and daydreaming. I love the outdoors and enjoy hikes with my hubby, friends and our dogs! Life is what we make of it and I am making the most of mine.