Thursday, January 13, 2011

Top Ten Thursday

We have Netflix. And Wii. Oh no. I discovered, thanks to The Hubster, something called Instant Queue. This has become more dangerous than our DVR. Possibly more dangerous than my Cough Drop addiction. I have been adding and adding and adding to our Instant Queue. Faster than I can possibly watch. But I am trying so hard to keep up with it. I have discovered old favorites...and have a few new ones. The draw with Netflix Instant Queue - instant satisfaction and it's FREE (well, there's that monthly fee, but I don't have to pay a rental for each one which makes it seem free and did I mention the whole press-the-button-and-it-plays-like-immediately thing?). This means I will watch things that I have never heard of and never would have rented.

I bring you Top Ten Instant Queue Items (and it wasn't easy narrowing these down, friends):

1) Everest. I swear I'm not watching it to see someone get into trouble on the mountain or freeze to death. But I'm not sure my reason for watching is any better than that. No, it is. Embarrassing though. I'm going to say it fast...Ihaveanubercrushonrussellbrice. There, it's out in the open now. Come on. The accent? The way he manages his sherpas and climbers and weather equipment and radio? No one keeps them safe like Russell. Seriously, no one does. He has ZERO fatalities in his ranks. Plus, you really have to admire people who can push past the mental and physical challenge of scaling Everest. It's incredibly inspirational.


2) Spaceballs - There are so many GREAT lines from this movie. "So LoneStar, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb."


3) Xena. I don't have to get up, go to the video cabinet and thumb through. I can stay right on my couch and rediscover favorite old episodes because I have EVERY episode (even the ones that I have worn out) at my fingertips. A Day in the Life, Been There Done That, One Against An Army, When Fates Collide, oh the list goes on and it's so much fun to rediscover them. (Warning about the video: it's simply clips from different episodes to Melissa Etheridge's I've Loved You Before and it captures Xena and Gabrielle's "friendship" perfectly)


4) Fire in the Sky. If you're into UFOs, this movie is worth checking out. Although, I believe the praise for it when it was originally released was "the last ten minutes will keep you on the edge of your seat." Not exactly a ringing endorsement for the rest of the film, but it has some old timers in it that are always fun to watch (Noble Winningham and James Garner). The story is intriguing. It was based on a true story (supposedly). Travis Walton's abduction has been both supported and ripped to shreds. Still like the movie. It gives me the creeps.



5) Dog. Yes, the Bounty Hunter. I just love that cool song at the beginning. And Beth's hair. She rocks big hair. There's something about a woman who can run after a criminal in four inch heels. I watched an episode last night where a guy told Beth to shut up. She told him he had to talk to her husband. Criminal: "Shut your wife up." Dog: "I can't, man." The Hubster and I were at a Chargers/Raiders game two seasons ago and a Raider fan told him that. He had the same response. Also, I can't help but laugh at the fact that Dog's shirt is always unbuttoned halfway down his torso even when they're in Colorado and it's snowing.


6) Firefly. Another uber crush? Joss Whedon. Oh Joss, can you ever do wrong? Not in my life!



7) Raising Arizona. "Son, you got a panty on your head." I think this may be the only movie that I liked Nicholas Cage in.


8) Wrestling in the Shadows. This documentary falls into the "Never Heard of it, Never Would Have Paid Money to Watch it" category. Big time. Not that I don't appreciate a man in tights. Okay, I really don't. I like them in tight football pants, but not tights. This was too good to pass up but I have no idea why.


9) Alice in Wonderland - There is a place. Like no place on Earth. A land full of wonder, mystery, and danger! Some say to survive it: You need to be as mad as a hatter. Which luckily I am!


10) The A Team - It's so much fun to rewatch childhood favorites! This one actually got better with time (unlike Barbara Mandrell and the Mandrell Sisters - don't judge me!). I love it when a plan comes together.



Don't judge me too harshly. This was not a good discovery in the middle of rewrites, but I'm using the Instant Queue as a treat. Get through your rewriting goals for the day and unwind with a few episodes or a movie!


What about you - do you have Netflix? What is your latest obsession on television? Do you have old favorites - tv or movie - that you like to rewatch over and over?

10 comments:

  1. I have never heard of Instant Queue! We have a DVR and record all kinds of stuff, but I also use the On Demand feature.

    I could watch the Princess Bride, Shawshank Redemption, and Julie & Julia over and over again. They never get old for me.

    And I love SPACEBALLS! Yay for Ludicrous speed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Spaceballs! Probably my favorite Mel Brooks movie (with History of the World Part 1 and Blazing Saddles close behind).

    We use the Netflix Instant Queue all the time. Basically we've added in all of our favorite shows (South Park, Futurama, King of the Hill, old Nickelodeon goodies like Rugrats, Pawn Stars, No Reservations, etc, etc), plus old and new movies. Basically anything that we would want to watch at any given time. We keep them in there all the time so that we can watch them "on demand".

    My husband and I are mostly into watching old stuff, with a few exceptions. Our latest obsession would probably be football. We got into it last season and it's stuck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a huge TWLIGHT ZONE fan! I've watched those old black and white episodes a zillion times. Such great writing. "Submitted for your approval..."

    My new obsessions include: Hawaii Five-O and Burn Notice. The eye candy doesn't hurt either. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a NetFlix junkie. I've watched about a hundred TV shows from start to finish because of NetFlix. I recently finished off Psych, so I'm watching all of The Big Bang Theory right now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Dog. I think his son Leland is sooo hot.

    I won a Stylish Blogger Award and I’m passing it down to you. Get your award at my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to watch Firefly! Can't believe I've waited this long. But I can't order Netflix until I finish my revisions, I've decided. Just too tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. *snicker* Dog. I can't talk. I have some that are just...embarrassing to admit I want to watch(80's rainbow bright movie for one. I got to at least see what it was all about!)

    XD OMG!! XENA! I was OBSESSED with Xena when it was on tv. Then got obsessed with buying the sets when I got older. (only managed to find 4 used ones.) I have 3 series in my Instant Queue right now awaiting me!

    I feel ya. Just too many goodies to get to and not enough time...I'm so glad the hubs bought the wii for it this Christmas too. There was entirely too much getting up and clicking with the mouse before the wii.

    I think Netflix might secretly be the devil...

    (love your owls!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sad to say I've never watched Xena. And I think "warrior princess" just sounds like the coolest...

    But the opening to Raizing Az is by far the funniest 10 minutes of moviegoing ever... :D <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sigh...Joss is my hero. To be able to write witty and funny dialogue like him would be a dream come true. You've seen Buffy right? That's my favorite show ever, and it introduced me to Nathan Fillian! (he was in the last season). And Firefly is so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh I love the A-team! The new movie was pretty funny too!

    I think that Canadian nexflix doesn't offer as much as the US one. I tried the trial and watched one whole movie :(

    ReplyDelete