Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Wednesday Wishes

This is Wednesday leaning out of her cat tree. She may look like just your average gray tabby cat, but she has many skills. Most of these skills, she uses for The Good. Okay, 'most' might be a slight exaggeration. Wednesday is a good little kitty, though, at heart. She loves her family, loves her sisters, loves annoying those sisters and she also loves to grant wishes. Every Wednesday morning, I will rub the side of the cat house and summon our magic cat!


My Wednesday Wishes for the week:

1) A small, independent, uncrowded coffee shop. Don't get me wrong, I love my Starbucks from the Skinny Vanilla Lattes to the Shaken Iced Green Tea. But I want somewhere to write. I need to focus right now and it's hard at home with the dog wanting a walk (or getting sick from the latest breach of treat protocal - yes, it happened again thanks to the dear hubster) or a cat wanting supervised yard time or the phone ringing or a closet needing reorganizing or laundry or...you get the picture. Our local Starbucks (yes, we have one on almost every corner) are PACKED from open to close. And I live in Los Angeles where everyone thinks they are important. And they want you to know it. So they carry on super loud conversations on their cell phones in public places. I just want a small coffee shop that isn't crowded for the few hours I want to use it. Or, if it is crowded, the crowd is MY peeps - writerly types who are quietly trying to write.

2) Magic Nails. I really hate to reveal my girlieness (totally a word!), but I like my nails to look nice. I don't always have the time to go sit in a salon. It would be so much easier if I could envision what I want, touch my nails and PRESSON! (cheap joke) - I have the color/style I want without spending the time. When I was at USC, I used to do my own nails because I redid to match my outfits. Stop. Laughing. It's true. It was too expensive to get my nails done every few days. It was exhausting trying to keep up. I am embarrassed to admit that there were a few late night panics when I realized I had forgotten to change my polish color. I would stay up to do it. By the end of each semester, I would try to coordinate my outfits to match that nail polish for at least five days because I would be exhausted. I grew older and wiser and stopped that foolish girlieness in my mid-twenties after everyone poked fun at me for matching too much. But there is a part of me that still has days where my purse must match my shoes, my eyeshadow needs to match my nails, and so on. For those days, the Magic Nails would really come in handy. I hope you don't think any less of me what I just admitted to.

3) Harry Never Ends!. I'm scared for Friday. I really am. It was hard enough finishing the books, but not impossible because we still had the movies. I don't want it to end. I suppose Pottermore could stave off all those feelings, but it's hard to know. I keep hoping Rowling will decide that SHE can't live without Harry and must write another book. What a magical world she created. We stepped off the pages into that wonderful, exciting, scary world. Harry is forever in our hearts. I'm going back and rereading the series so maybe that will help ease the heartache a bit.



What about you - what are your wishes for our magical cat this Wednesday?

5 comments:

  1. I just painted my nails for the first time in ages (clear doesn't count) yesterday, and I tried a different nail shape (square with rounded off edges) so, uh, not gonna give you a hard time.

    Okay, so wishes, wishes. . . 1) A magic closet that magics up some nice clothes for me. 2) Strike that. A magic chest of drawers for clothes and a magic closet that leads to anywhere, including fictional places. 3) An epic friend. Someone with whom I can have random deep discussions or play metaphysical I-Spy and That Guy Is a Gigolo, and go out to lunch and the movies, and tell secrets to without the fear of judgement. If the epic friend also happened to be of the opposite sex and attracted to me, that'd be okay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. More fruit smoothies in coffee shops? (I don't drink coffee.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go to the library, Lady! Use a study room to write. Okay, so it may be farther for you, but at least it would be quiet (somewhat, anyway...libraries aren't very quiet anymore). And I always have to have my nails painted. I usually just slap this nude/pail pink on my nails and call it good in the summer. Winter is harder because I usually do a dark purple/black color and its hard to get it perfect because you can see every little imperfection. I haven't had nail polish on my nails all weekend and its driving me nuts. Thankfully I'm off tomorrow to do them. And I wish HP would never end too! I'm SO sad! I told hubs that we needed to watch it the day before i'm off because I'll be bawling my eyes out and then I"ll wake up with a huge headache and super puffy eyes and I don't want to go to work like that. Have fun i fyou are going to midnight/friday! I have to wait till next week :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I echo magic nails. Mine look horrible right now. I did this gel lacquer manicure (nail polish that's cured under UV light so that it's super hard) for my friend's wedding last month, and they looked fantastic, but you're supposed to have them professionally soaked off so that they don't hurt your nails. Well, I picked mine off. And now my nails look awful! Sigh.

    Barring magic nails, I'll take a Starbucks I can walk to. The closest one to me is a 10 minute drive. Can you imagine?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would like for this wishes to come true. Magic nails, especially. Gah, my nails are horrific at the moment.

    ReplyDelete