Thursday, October 21, 2010

Let's Talk Hero

"Men are afraid to rock the boat in which they hope to drift safely through life's currents, when, actually, the boat is stuck on a sandbar. They would be better off to rock the boat and try to shake it loose." - Thomas Szasz

I've been thinking a lot about heroes this week. We've watched Robin Hood all week - four different versions (including Men in Tights). One movie each night. I love the story. To me, the romance isn't in the relationship with Marian. The romance is in the tale of Robin Hood himself. The heroism - no matter which version you watch. Robbing from the rich to feed the poor. Standing up for what is right no matter the cost. Rise and rise again until lambs become lions.

Nobility is not a birth right. It is defined by one's actions.
- Robin Hood

A true hero does what must be done, even if it means peril and personal sacrifice. Courage and honor drive them rather than fortune and glory.

Being good with a sword, or a bow (or both) are helpful. Unless we're talking modern day heroes, then you might want to take away the weapons. Perhaps your 2010 hero uses words, or his fists (or both).

A sense of humor doesn't hurt either.


What makes a hero a hero to you? And which is your favorite version of Robin Hood?


In other important news:


Alex J. Cavanaugh is having a Kickoff Contest. His debut novel, CassaStar was released yesterday.

From his site:
"To pilot the fleet’s finest ship…

Few options remain for Byron. A talented but stubborn young man with a troubled past and rebellious attitude, his cockpit skills are his only hope. Slated to train as a Cosbolt fighter pilot, Byron is determined to prove his worth and begin a new life as he sets off for the moon base of Guaard.

Much to Byron’s chagrin, the toughest instructor in the fleet takes notice of the young pilot. Haunted by a past tragedy, Bassa eventually sees through Byron's tough exterior and insolence. When a secret talent is revealed during training, Bassa feels compelled to help Byron achieve his full potential.

As war brews on the edge of space, time is running short. Byron requires a navigator of exceptional quality to survive, and Bassa must make a decision that could well decide the fate of both men. Will their skills be enough as they embark on a mission that may stretch their abilities to the limit?"

If you can't wait, like me, you can order it at
Amazon or at Barnes & Noble.

8 comments:

  1. Jennie.... you nailed what a hero is to me. I, too, love the story of Robin Hood, I have several versions of it at home both in books and movies and you're right the romance... Marian isn't even necessary.

    GREAT post (wish I had thought of it!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen the newest cinema version yet! Loved the Patrick Bergin one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love men in tights cos it speaks to my humor, I also love BBC's Robin hood (I think you would like it too)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The romance is in Robin's adventures. I think.
    And I agree with your definition of a hero.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never thought about it that way, but you're right--the real romance is Robin's tale and whole life. I love the Disney version the best, I think--so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ah! This gave me chills! You're so right. I adore great hero's but it seems like they are few and far between in novels these days. Robin Hood is the best. (Men in tights is too!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great heroes are truly wonderful, aren't they? And there is such a lack of them in modern literature. I need to see the latest version of Robin Hood. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OOooo, I love me some Robin Hood! There's a great book out there called Hood. I think the author's last name is Lawing...? And my favorite is the BBC series.

    To me, a hero is anyone who does what needs to be done when no one else will do it. Sort of like Bruce Willis said in the last Die Hard movie....

    I've already ordered Alex's book, woohoo!

    ReplyDelete