Monday, January 9, 2012

Best Text Message Ever

So I'm writing on Saturday afternoon and my phone beeps.  I click open the text message to read:

Hey, we're watching this show about a lady who murdered some woman and made her husband dispose of the body.  He built a fire around the body and then encompassed the fire with roofing tin and that was enough to cremate the body.  The tin made it hot enough to ash the body.

Odd, yes?

To someone who hasn't read my manuscript.

But to a Crit Partner?  It solves the problem we were having of how to cremate a body in the winter when you don't want to build a HUMONGOUS fire that will draw unwanted people from afar.

I'm not in the habit of burning bodies.  I don't live where it snows.  Ever.  In fact, I don't even ski.  So I'm not snow saavy in the least.

I love my Crit Girls for so many reasons.  This is just one of them.  How many people will text message you on a random afternoon when watching a crime show because they came up with a solution to a small problem in your WIP?  I have two that will and do.  They're worth more than gold.

Now, if someone I know disappears and the cops are desperate to pin it on someone, I might have a problem if they check my text messages.  But you guys will vouge for me, right?  Right?

What about you - what's the weirdest text message you've ever received? 

8 comments:

  1. I'm assuming you're writing a mystery or suspense novel, right? I love those kind. That is a great way to dispose of a body, in fiction. Good luck with your book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that has to be a top ten ext message. I don't own a cell phone, so never received a text message.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha! I love you! They kept talking about how this body just disappeared and when they finally revealed how I bout fell off the couch, I was so excited to text you! And it was a true story, so you know it's legit and not just something they made up on a fake cop show! Glad it worked for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, that would be such a suspicious text message if you were ever suspected of murder! Too cute--I love good crit partners. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't post the weirdest text message I've ever received here (AHEM) but I have definitely had some weird conversations!

    Good crit partners are worth their weight in gold... hang onto yours! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Man, that's just one more example of how writerly friends are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha, that's awesome! My hubs once texted me in French... that's kind of unusual. Otherwise, nothing really nutty that I can remember.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Funny that this question is up here. Actually my weirdest text message was received last night. At 4:55 am but boyfriends sister wrote "I'm here for you if you need anything Babe." My mind started reeling- what could she be referring to at such an odd hour. I quickly responded worried and wondering what she knew that I didnt. Her response was that she had a dream that my boyfriend (her brother) died and she woke up thinking it was real!!

    ReplyDelete