"A New Year's resolution is something that goes in one year and out the other." - Oscar Wilde
According to statistics, 97% of New Year's resolutions are never fulfilled. 40 to 45% of optimistic people use New Year's Day to make resolutions and set goals for the year. (statistics taken from the Miami Herald)
I'm going to be one of the 40 to 45% and hopefully in the 3% that fulfill.
Last year I only set two:
1) Write a book.
2) Be less judgemental.
I was successful with one. 1/2 isn't bad, right?
This year, I'm throwing #2 out. It's me. It's who I am. I'm judgemental, but I don't open my mouth about it so that's like not being judgemental, right? If no one knows that I'm judging them, it doesn't count!
On to this year...
1) Complete the rewrite of Dark Forest (and I mean complete it! so that I am querying by the Spring).
2) Better use of my time. This really needs fixing, folks. I'm not going to lie. Today, great use of my time. Yesterday? Not so much. I'm not in my early 20s anymore so it's completely unacceptable to be so upset over a football game that I spend hours (yes, hours) posting on messageboards about the team, coaching staff, GM and certain players. Not even joking.
3) Vegan. Not 100%. But as much as possible. I have a great start so far! This is for my health!
4) Run a 5k and a 10k. Notice I didn't put marathon. I've been running a bit with Lily, but her enthusiasm wanes after...oh, half a block. It looks like I'm torturing her. She hangs her head and looks up at me as she trudges along as if to say, "Mommy, WHY are you doing this to me?" The last two nights I've waited until the end of our walk, which has worked out better. I've gotten TWO whole blocks...in a row even!! If she can't step it up, though, I'll have to strike out on my own before or after our walks.
5) Finish the rewrite on my Dystopian as well. That will take place the latter half of the year.
I'm pretty good at setting writing goals and meeting them so I'm sure I can be 2/5 in 2011! Although I really will aim for all 5.
I'm tempted to throw in things like Organize the Garage and Organize the Closets, but who am I kidding? Those haven't been done in three years. Not sure they're getting done now. The key to success is setting attainable, realistic goals/resolutions.
Actually, I think I'll throw in one more...
6) Have as much enthusiasm towards everything in life as Pinky has towards her ball.
Wouldn't it be nice to tackle everything with the amount of gusto she has? EVERYTHING? (Even the digging of the hole at the end?)
What about you - any New Year's Resolutions this year?
HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Canadian Zombie Babies
4 years ago