How do you distract yourself when querying? Because if you don't, you're checking your email every five minutes. Even with distractions, you tend to only narrow it down to every ten.
Here's my list:
1) Create a new playlist. Playlists rule my life - for writing, workouts, road trips, cleaning. I love putting together new playlists!
2) Work on your NaNo from last year. I was scared to open it. I mean, I wrote it in 30 days. Granted, I had a pretty detailed outline, but I did allow myself some freedom - characters showed up that I wasn't expecting and took the story in a different direction. Then I'd spend the morning re-outlining and dive back in for my 2,000 words. Surprise! It wasn't bad. It's far from perfect, but it wasn't as horrible as I was expecting. So flushing it out is proving fun. I'm in love with the idea, which makes me look forward to working on it...hold on, I have to check my email...just kidding.
3) Deep clean the house. I'm talking get into all those nooks and crannies you've been ignoring while you were working so hard on your manuscript that is now being queried! Move those electronics and dust UNDER them. Move the furniture around and get those dust bunnies hanging out under it. Hey, wait...did I say move the furniture?
4) Rearrange a room or two. It's like we have a whole new living room and bedroom! The bedroom actually feels BIGGER.
5) Buy a pedometer. Program the pedometer. Figure out it's not logging your steps right. Re-program the pedometer. Take another long walk. Find that it's still adding extra steps you aren't taking. Re-program. Take a short walk. Find that it's still adding extra steps you aren't taking. Put it in the drawer in the bathroom where all things electronic that bug you gather. Hope they don't plot against you.
6) Go through your closets - gather old clothes to donate.
7) SHOP! Fill those closets right back up.
8) Search for new recipes! I'm committed to making two new dinners a week. This means using ingredients that I have previously shunned...like bulgur, quinoa and red lentils. Grate ginger. Grow your own herbs - my basil is out of control!
9) Catch up with friends - lunch and coffee dates have come in handy. It's so much fun to LAUGH and catch up!
10) Netflix. I admit that I'm watching a lot of my old faves - from Xena to Stargate Atlantis. But I'm vowing to watch two (yes, my favorite number) new movies a week. Mixing the old with the new!
I still haven't started that garden that I wanted to. I would love to plant a vegetable garden. The Hubster has Thursday off so we may go look at some plants (tomato - yummy!) and boxes. I just may be able to add Vegetable Garden to my distraction list.
What about you - what do you use as distractions?
Canadian Zombie Babies
5 years ago