Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Wednesday Wishes

This is Wednesday leaning out of her cat tree. She may look like just your average gray tabby cat, but she has many skills. Most of these skills, she uses for The Good. Okay, 'most' might be a slight exaggeration. Wednesday is a good little kitty, though, at heart. She loves her family, loves her sisters, loves annoying those sisters and she also loves to grant wishes. Every Wednesday morning, I will rub the side of the cat house and summon our magic cat!

My Wednesday Wishes for the week:

1) House of Wormwood C No. 20 - At the Renn Faire last year, I purchased a candle that smelled like eucalyptus. It's an odd fragrance that I love. I think I burned it once and then we had company over so the tin was closed and put away. I rediscovered it tonight while riffling through the hall closet for wrapping paper. It made my night. Possibly even my entire week. The house smells of eucalyptus. The migraine that was starting vanished. I went online to search for a new candle only to find that they didn't have this number anymore. Boo. I've tried many eucalyptus candles over the years and this was hands down the BEST. So I'm wishing that somehow I will get a new candle. I think that's an easier wish than the fast forwarding of time so that tomorrow is suddenly the Renn Faire.

2) Donations - We're wrapping again (Paws and Learn), but our first day was not very lucrative. Our organization relies mainly on donations in this down economy because most of the grant money has dried up. We do not get a salary. This is a labor of love for Meredith and I because we believe so strongly in the importance of Humane Education (especially reading stories like this). But handouts do not come cheap and these children need to take lessons home with them (in the form of fun activities) to reinforce what they have heard in class, and to counteract what is being taught at home and in their own neighborhoods. Every cent we make goes right back into our presentation materials and programs. We spent 8 hours at a Barnes & Noble last week for a whopping $10. So here's to hoping the rest of the week is far more productive, especially now that we've gotten them to move the table downstairs next to the register.

3) A Day - I would love to be able to choose one day of my life and go back to relive it. I wouldn't change a thing. I just want to be back in my grandparents house to spend a day in their presence. Grandma would be cooking up something that makes the whole house smell like...well, like their house. I know that I've talked about my grandparents before and how close I was to both of them, but especially to my grandma. There are usually days that pass without much more than a quiet thought of them. Then there are days like today - after a particularly vivid dream the night before - where the ache of missing them drives me nuts. When my grandpa passed, my mom and aunts put their house up for sale. I was far too young and it was crazy expensive given it's location, but I wanted to buy that house so badly and just keep it exactly as it was. The Mirror of Erised would have been so dangerous for me. I might have been like Harry and spent far too many hours in front of it. So I would wish for a day, any day of my choosing, to step back into that life - with grandma's cooking and her laughter that rang through the house (you could hear her in any room no matter how far away you were), to wander through grandpa's garden with him as he showed me all the new plants he had just added and what was in bloom, to hug them both and hold them tight. How cool would it be if we could do that occasionally? Oh magic, why can't you be real? I guess that's what memories are for, though.

What about you - what are your wishes for Wednesday our magical cat?

5 comments:

  1. "Oh magic, why can't you be real?" - You said my words.
    I'd choose to go back to a day as well. Any day when my grandpa was still here. He's been one of the biggest influences of my life. It's been a couple of years now but not a day passes when I don't think about him. So, I understand where you're coming from :)

    Also, eucalyptus works wonders. I massage my forehead with it's oil every time I get a headache. It helps that it has such a grand scent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a eucalyptus candle once that was the absolute best smelling candle ever. If I could have a couple of those candles ...and yes, "oh magic why can't you be real?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Jennie, I'm sorry you're missing your grandparents so much, but you're right about the magic of memories. Hope they keep you from feeling too sad.

    I would wish for a house this week, but I think that one might be too big even for Wendy's skills, because it hasn't yet come to fruition! I'd take some much needed alone time instead, though. Not likely with Christmas coming up, but I'd really like a whole day to myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you find your candle.
    And only ten bucks??? What is wrong with people. Donate!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw, I'm so sorry you're missing your grandparents. I miss my Dad most at this time of year. He's on the other side of the world and it's hard not celebrating the holidays with him.

    My Wednesday wish? That my damn infected finger will stop itching. Seriously. It's almost a waste of a good wishing opportunity but I cannot take it anymore.

    ReplyDelete